Orkin Canada released its annual ranking of the "rattiest" cities last week and Cambridge still ranks before Kitchener as one of the Ontario cities with the most rat problems.
Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat and mice) treatments the company performed from August 1, 2020 through July 31, 2021.
Greater Toronto Area cities ranked tops for pest control with Toronto coming in at number one.
This ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
Orkin says the COVID-19 pandemic has had both an immediate and potentially long-lasting impact on rodent populations.
The impacts include behavioural changes and ecological adjustments that forced rodents to have to adapt in order to survive.
Rodent Prevention Tips
- Trim the Trees: Landscaping can be a big-rodent attractant. Keep shrubbery cut back at least one meter from the exterior walls of your home to eliminate any hiding spots for rodents and to avoid giving them a “jumping off” point.
- Cut Off the Water: Eliminate any moisture sources, necessary for pests’ survival, such as clogged gutters or water gathering in trash or recycling bins.
- Inspect both inside and outside your property for rodent droppings, burrows and rub marks along baseboards and walls. The more quickly rodents are detected, the better.
- Close the Gap: Look for possible entry points outside the home, seal all cracks larger than 1/4 of an inch and install weather strips at the bottom of exterior doors.
- Keep your property clean, inside and out. Clean up crumbs and spills as soon as they happen to avoid leaving food residue or sugary substances that can attract rodents. Store all food (including pet food) in tightly-sealed containers like plastic bins, and never leave food or dishes sitting out overnight.